I go on walks in the city with the intention of observing and documenting instances where designed systems meet unplanned, or spontaneous systems.
I approach this kind
of like a dérive – in the sense that I don’t set out on a predetermined
trajectory. I either have a specific phenomenon that I am drawn to (like the
acequias), or I set out to look for new ones.
-Gives me something
productive to apply my hyper-awareness to
- Helps me discover
and identify instances of unplanned, spontaneous occupation of space – which
feeds into some of the themes that I am looking at in my own work
- This in turn
cultivates my sense of HOPE -
because I don’t always have much faith in conventional planning.
Here is how I go about it - I invite you to try it out :
Here is how I go about it - I invite you to try it out :
In silence
- Observe what
the main designed elements are (buildings, benches, planters..)
- Look for
unplanned, spontaneous systems (anthills, plants growing in the
cracks in the pavement, birds nests, un-prescribed behavior…
doesn’t have to just be nature VS manmade – could be deviations
in expected behavior)
- Do the 2
coexist independently or do they start to blur or form a new, hybrid
type of structure?
- Photograph or draw what
you feel represents this meeting of these 2 systems.
2 apps for urban exploration :
- DRIFT : http://www.brokencitylab.org/drift/
- DÉRIVE : http://deriveapp.com/s/v1/
Also of interest - the Los Angeles Urban Rangers : Interpretive walks through the city
Psychogeography

No comments:
Post a Comment