Image/Object #1: found on http://www.fallenfruit.org/index.php/about/ This image is posted on the Fallen Fruit Project website that Jamie mentioned in class Sunday. On the website, they speak about some images as “narrative photographs”—which I feel perfectly describes this image. I find this picture remarkable, because it seems that the people have gathered under the tree, but in reality, the cars are gathered under the tree. It seems that a few of them have noticed how odd this is. Maybe someone has gone to get the owners of these two cars and ask them to move them. Perhaps the cars will stay exactly where they are. If you look closely, you can see a blonde child walking between the cars—something that would be terrifying if the cars were moving and alarming if they were waiting at a light, but which seems playful or ordinary in light of the fact that the cars are parked under a tree. Interesting, right?
Image/Object #2: found on http://summer.unm.edu/campus-abq/setting.html This image is a picture of the alumni clock on the UNM campus. It is near the Duck Pond. In light of the topic “Technology and Obsolescence”, I find it interesting that this is called “Alumni Clock”, in that it was probably a tool that was useful for alumni of UNM, which probably explains why they gifted it to future students of the university. However, I doubt that many people on the UNM campus actually use this clock now, given the pervasiveness of cell phone clocks and other forms of transportable technology that show the time. * Why look at this clock when you can check your phone or computer or watch for the time?
Image/Object #3: found at found at https://www.google.com/search?q=starbuck's+drink+holders&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7LENN_enUS454&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=FDpRUMiwF6H6iwKNyICQAw&biw=969&bih=450&sei=GDpRUJ6_BO72iQLnvIGwDQ The 3rd image/object of interest to me is a disposable Starbuck’s coffee sleeve. I hate to admit how many of these I have used, reused, lost, found, and then discarded. I have been aiming to buy a disposable cup sleeve for a while now, but lost track of the goal over summer (when I drink iced coffee). I know that Starbuck’s is a pretty green company, but the amount of waste produced by this company disturbs me (even though I’m a regular customer and participate in this). In terms of obsolescence, I find it interesting that there are both disposable and reusable versions of this technology available (but you have to pay extra for the reusable one; the disposable one is free). * What other forms of technology do we expect to throw away and get another one of later?
Image/Object #1: found on http://www.fallenfruit.org/index.php/about/
ReplyDeleteThis image is posted on the Fallen Fruit Project website that Jamie mentioned in class Sunday. On the website, they speak about some images as “narrative photographs”—which I feel perfectly describes this image. I find this picture remarkable, because it seems that the people have gathered under the tree, but in reality, the cars are gathered under the tree. It seems that a few of them have noticed how odd this is. Maybe someone has gone to get the owners of these two cars and ask them to move them. Perhaps the cars will stay exactly where they are. If you look closely, you can see a blonde child walking between the cars—something that would be terrifying if the cars were moving and alarming if they were waiting at a light, but which seems playful or ordinary in light of the fact that the cars are parked under a tree. Interesting, right?
Image/Object #2: found on http://summer.unm.edu/campus-abq/setting.html
This image is a picture of the alumni clock on the UNM campus. It is near the Duck Pond. In light of the topic “Technology and Obsolescence”, I find it interesting that this is called “Alumni Clock”, in that it was probably a tool that was useful for alumni of UNM, which probably explains why they gifted it to future students of the university. However, I doubt that many people on the UNM campus actually use this clock now, given the pervasiveness of cell phone clocks and other forms of transportable technology that show the time. * Why look at this clock when you can check your phone or computer or watch for the time?
Image/Object #3: found at found at https://www.google.com/search?q=starbuck's+drink+holders&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7LENN_enUS454&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=FDpRUMiwF6H6iwKNyICQAw&biw=969&bih=450&sei=GDpRUJ6_BO72iQLnvIGwDQ
The 3rd image/object of interest to me is a disposable Starbuck’s coffee sleeve. I hate to admit how many of these I have used, reused, lost, found, and then discarded. I have been aiming to buy a disposable cup sleeve for a while now, but lost track of the goal over summer (when I drink iced coffee). I know that Starbuck’s is a pretty green company, but the amount of waste produced by this company disturbs me (even though I’m a regular customer and participate in this). In terms of obsolescence, I find it interesting that there are both disposable and reusable versions of this technology available (but you have to pay extra for the reusable one; the disposable one is free). * What other forms of technology do we expect to throw away and get another one of later?